The Association of Korean-Canadian Scientists and Engineers (AKCSE) Bylaws
[PART 1 GENERAL PROVISION]
Article 1 (Name)
The name of this Association shall be the Association of Korean-Canadian Scientists and Engineers (hereinafter the Association). Its abbreviation is AKCSE.
Article 2 (Objective and Purpose)
The purpose of the Association is to foster friendship among Members, to encourage and support more young Koreans to advance in science and technology field of mainstream society, and to contribute to development of science, technology and industrial economics in Korea and Canada.
Article 3 (Activity)
The Association is a non-political and non-profit organization, and to achieve the purpose of Article 2, the Association may engage in various functions/events and projects.
Article 4 (Office)
The principle location of the Association’s office shall be Toronto, Ontario; however, if deemed necessary by the Executives, it may be relocated to other province or city via the General Meeting’s resolution.
Article 5 (Chapter)
- The Association may have Chapters other than the office once passed at the General Meeting.
- Each Chapter shall be consisted of over 20 Members, and the Chapter’s bylaws and the Member list shall be submitted to the Board of Directors and the approval of Chapter formation must be obtained.
- Members shall become local Chapter Members of where they reside.
- The Board of Directors may vote to dissolve Chapter of Article 5.1 and School Chapter of Article 5.2 if the Chapter lacks activities or fails to meet the criteria for Member composition.
Article 5.1 (Chapter President)
- Each Chapter may elect a Chapter President through its General Meeting.
- The Chapter President shall be the communication liaison between the Chapter and the Office.
Article 5.2 (School Chapter)
- Each Chapter may form a School Chapter consisted of Student Members.
- The qualifications for Student Members are indicated in Article 6.2 below.
- A School Chapter shall be consisted of over 20 Student Members, and the School Chapter’s bylaw and the Member list shall be submitted to the Board of Directors via its Chapter and the approval of School Chapter formation must be obtained.
[PART 2 MEMBERSHIP]
Article 6 (Membership Category)
The membership of the Association consists of Full Members, Student Members, Honorary Members and Consultant.
Article 6.1 (Full Member)
- A Full Member is a Canadian resident or staying in Canada, of Korean descent, and must hold minimum undergraduate degree in the field of natural science, engineering and/or medicine in principle.
- The Executives are entitled to confer the full membership after approval to an individual who does not meet the criteria of Article 6.1 1. but is recommended by a Chapter President, Director or Executive.
- A Member under the age of 35 with undergraduate degree and full membership may work as Young Professional (YP).
- Young Professionals may form Young Professional National (YPN) and work Canada-wide.
- The Board of Directors may vote to dissolve Young Professional National (YPN) if YPN lacks activities or fails to meet the criteria of Member composition.
Article 6.2 (Student Member)
- A Student Member is a Canadian resident or staying in Canada, of Korean descent, and must be enrolled in the undergraduate program, or equivalent, in the field of natural science, medicine, life science or engineering in principle.
- A Student Member is not entitled to vote but may engage in the Association’s activities.
- A Student Member shall become Member of each Chapter’s School Chapter and may work as a Young Generation (YG).
- Young Generation may form Young Generation National (YGN) separately and work Canada-wide.
- The Board of Directors may vote to dissolve Young Generation National (YGN) if YGN lacks activities of fails to meet the criteria of Member composition.
Article 6.3 (Honorary Member)
- The Board of Directors is entitled to confer the designation of Honorary Member on an individual who does not meet the criteria of Article 6.1 and 6.2, but rendered academic or financial contribution to the Association, and has been approved by the Board.
- An Honorary Member is not entitled to be nominated or vote but may engage in all other activities of the Association.
Article 6.4 (Consultant)
- The Board of Directors is entitled to confer the designation of Consultant on an individual who does not meet the criteria of Article 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3, but has ability to provide advisory service to the Association.
- A Consultant is not entitled to be nominated or vote but may engage in all other activities of the Association.
Article 6.5 (Rights and Obligations of Member)
- All Members must uphold and comply with the Bylaws.
- Members of the Association are subject to receive notices about all activities of the Association specified or not specified in the Bylaws, hence have rights and obligations of voluntary and active participation.
- All Members must pay the membership dues set out in the Bylaws.
- All Members are entitled to vote and to be nominated unless otherwise specified in the Bylaws.
- Full Members may attend the Annual General Meeting and are entitled to vote on resolutions proposed unless otherwise specified in the Bylaws.
- All Members may request participation records of activities related to the Association.
- Membership withdrawal is not forced and dependent upon Member’s decision.
[PART 3 THE EXECUTIVES AND THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS]
Article 7 (The Executives)
- The Executives of the Association is consisted of President, Vice-president(s), President-elect and/or Past President in principle.
- The Past President shall be excluded from the Executives upon the election of President-elect.
- The President is also the Executive Director of Korean Canadian Science Scholarship Foundation (KCSSF).
Article 7.1 (Election and Term of President)
- The election of the Association President shall comply with Detailed Provisions on AKCSE President election.
- The term of President is 2 years from January 1st to December 31st of the following year.
- The President shall not serve consecutive terms or be re-elected.
Article 7.2 (Election and Term of the Executives)
- The President-elect shall be elected from the Board of Directors within 1 year of the final term in principle, the detailed election procedure is set out in the Detailed Provisions.
- The President shall appoint Vice-presidents, Committee Chairs, and Directors.
- The President shall appoint the Advisory Committee Chair and the Board of Directors shall approve it.
- Term of the Executives coincides with term of the President.
Article 7.3 (Role of the Executives)
- It shall be the responsibility of the President to direct the Association’s work, to conduct its events/functions/projects and to achieve its goals presenting the Association.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Past President and the President-elect to assist the President in performing tasks for the Association.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Vice-presidents to assist the President, and in the absence of the President, the Vice-president of Operation (VP-Operation) shall assume the role of the President as an acting President.
- It shall be the responsibility of the VP-Operation to perform all duties regarding the Association’s operation.
- It shall be the responsibility of the VP-Government Affairs to perform all duties regarding the Canadian government and its policies.
- It shall be the responsibility of the VP-R&D to perform all duties regarding the Association’s research and project development.
- It shall be the responsibility of the VP-Funding & Finance to perform all duties regarding the Association’s financial transaction approval and management.
- It shall be the responsibility of the VP-Entrepreneurship to perform all duties regarding business start-up, incubation, entrepreneurship promotion of the Association Members.
- It shall be the responsibility of the VP-Public Relations to perform all duties regarding internal and external public relations, liaison and mathematics & science competitions/contests.
- It shall be the responsibility of the VP-Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (E.D.I) to perform all duties regarding equity, diversity and inclusion of the Association Member’s composition and activities.
Article 8 (Board of Directors)
- The Executives may appoint about 30 Directors universally based on speciality, region or gender and form the Board of Directors.
- The Association Directors are also KCSSF Directors.
- It shall be the responsibility of the Board of Directors to perform duties regarding the Association operation. The particulars of the Board of Directors shall be set out in separate Detailed Provisions.
Article 9 (Auditor)
- The Auditor(s) shall not be affiliated with the Executives or Board of Directors.
- The term of the Auditor coincides with the term of President, and the President-elect appoints before the expiry of the term.
- In case of the Auditor not being able to continue to perform duties during the term, the President appoints a new Auditor, and the newly appointed Auditor shall assume duties for the reminder of the term of the former Auditor.
Article 10 (Advisory Committee Member)
- The Association may have Advisory Accountant, Advisory Counsel, etc. if deemed necessary, and they shall be appointed by the President and approved by the Board.
- The Association’s Advisory Committee Member(s) shall not be affiliated with the Executives or Board of Directors.
Article 11 (Treasurer and Administrative Manager)
- The Treasurer and Administrative Manager shall not be affiliated with the Executives or Board of Directors, and the President shall appoint them.
- The Treasurer may make transfers and withdrawals from the Association’s account and Korea-Canada Conference on Science and Technology (CKC) account upon the approval of the President and VP-Funding & Finance.
- The President shall appoint the Association’s Administrative Manager and CKC Administrative Manager.
[PART 4 MEETING]
Article 12 (Meeting Category)
Meeting categories are Annual General Meeting, Extraordinary Meeting, the Executive Meeting and the Board Meeting. They may be held in writing or on-line.
Article 12.1 (General Meeting)
- The General Meeting shall be held once a year during CKC in principle.
- It is the responsibility of the President to give all members the notice of General Meeting specifying time and location at least one month prior.
Article 12.2 (Extraordinary Meeting)
Extraordinary Meeting may be held anytime upon requisition by 10 or more Full Members or the Executives, and the Executives shall determine the time and location and notify immediately. The resolution(s) of General Meeting and other necessary matters regarding the Association activities may be resolved.
Article 12. 3 (The Executive Meeting)
- The President shall convene the Executive meeting if deemed necessary by the Executives.
- The President shall convene the Joint Meeting of the Executive and the Board of Directors once a year.
- The Executive meeting may invite the Chair of Advisory Committee if deemed necessary by the Executives, and the Chair of Advisory Committee must endeavor to attend. If impossible to attend, the Chair of Advisory Committee must delegate another advisor to attend.
Article 13 (Resolution)
The resolution of General Meeting, Extraordinary Meeting and the Executive Meeting shall be majority vote of the attended Members. In case of meeting in writing or on-line, it shall be resolved by majority vote of the responding Members.
[PART 5 ACCOUNTING]
Article 14 (Finances and Fiscal Year)
The Association’s finances shall be managed with membership dues, donations, subsidies, and revenue generated through projects and CKC. The business and fiscal year is from January 1st to December 31st of every year.
Article 14.1 (Cheque Issuance, Fund Transfer and Withdrawal)
- The Executives shall decide the cheque co-signers for cheques issued by the Association and CKC, yet the President and VP-Funding & Finance shall be in charge in principle.
- Only the Treasurer shall make transfers and withdrawals from the Association account and CKC account upon the approval by the President and VP-Funding & Finance or VP-Funding & Finance only in principle.
- Only the President and VP-Funding & Finance shall make use of Interact card and credit card of the Association and CKC in principle.
Article 14.2 (Expenditure Statement)
- In case of a project with total budget or administered expenses over $10,000, the project manager must submit the expenditure statement within the 90 days after the project’s completion to the President and VP-Funding & Finance. The submitted expenditure statement must be conveyed to the Auditor without revision/ratification immediately.
- The expenditure statement must include supporting documents for each administered expense item and description of use.
- The Auditor must submit that project’s audit report to the President and VP-Funding & Finance within 6 weeks of receiving the expenditure statement and report to the Board of the Directors.
Article 14.3 (Membership Dues)
- Membership dues are divided into general dues and special dues.
- General dues shall be paid once a year, and the Board of Directors shall determine the amount.
- Members registered to participate in CKC shall be exempted from general dues.
- The Board of Directors shall decide special dues if deemed necessary for the Association’s activity.
- No members shall owe duty to bear expenses except general dues unless otherwise the Board of Directors decides so.
Article 14.4 (Donation and Subsidy)
The Association may request and accept donations and subsidies from Members, non-members, associated companies and institutions or the third party through the resolution of the Board of Directors.
1) (Bylaw Amendment)
Other matters not prescribed in the Association Bylaws shall be implemented in accordance with the decision by the Board of Directors. The Bylaw amendment shall must be proposed by the Board of Directors, recommended by the Executives and approved at the General Meeting.
2) (Bylaws Validity)
This Bylaw becomes valid and effective from the day of approval at the general meeting.
- Passed at the Inaugural Meeting: November 29, 1986
- 1st amendment: November 26, 1988
- 2nd amendment: October 28, 1989
- 3rd amendment: November 10, 1990
- 4th amendment: October 31, 1992
- 5th amendment: November 15, 1997
- 6th amendment: September 22, 2001
- 7th amendment: November 23, 2002
- 8th amendment: November 29, 2003
- 9th amendment: September 4, 2010
- 10th amendment: August 9, 2011
- 11th amendment: August 5, 2012
- 12th amendment: December 15, 2013
- 13th amendment: December 31, 2018 (approved via on-line vote, recommended to Board on September 1, 2018)
The Detailed Provisions for AKCSE Board of Directors
Article 1 (Board of Directors)
As the Association’s top executive body, the Board of Directors shall deliberate or resolve the following:
- Proposal of Bylaw amendment
- Establishment and amendment of Detailed Provisions
- New year’s project plan and budget
- Previous year’s settlement of accounts
- Recommendation of President Committee
- Other matters on operation of the Association
Article 2 (Formation)
- The composition of the Board of Directors shall comply with the Bylaws.
- The ex officio directors shall include the President, VPs, President-elect, Past President, KCSSF judging panels, Chapter Presidents, Committee Chairs, and Directors. The Chair(s) of science & technology Professional Society under AKCSE may be included.
Article 3 (Term of Director)
- The term of Director shall coincide with the President unless he/she is Chapter President or Chair of Professional Society. The term of Chapter President and Chair of Professional Society shall comply with the bylaw of the affiliated Chapter and relevant Professional Society.
- In case of Director’s resignation during the term, it must be notified to the Board of Directors immediately, and the Board shall elect a new Director immediately to serve the reminder of the term.
- The resigning Director must continue performing duties until a new Director is elected.
Article 4 (The Executive of the Board of Directors)
The President of the Association shall serve as the Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Article 5 (The Board Meeting)
- The Board meetings are divided into Regular Board Meeting and Special Board Meeting.
- The President shall convene a Regular Board Meeting once a year and must give a written notice with time, place and resolutions to be considered to each Director at least 10 days prior.
- The President shall convene a Special Board Meeting upon the requisition of over 10 Directors or of the President Committee. The President must give a written notice with the time, place and resolutions to be considered to each Director at least one week prior.
- The Board may hold a Joint Meeting with the Executives.
Article 6 (Resolution)
The Board shall be valid with the majority attendance of registered Directors, and the majority vote of attended Directors shall pass resolution.
Article 7 (Mail or On-line Ballot)
Mail-in or On-line ballot may replace the Board’s resolution if deemed necessary by the Board.
1) Provision Validity
These Detailed Provisions shall become valid and effective from the day passed by the Board.
- Passed by the Board: May 20, 1989
- 1st amendment: November 9, 1990
- 2nd amendment: October 3, 1996
- 3rd amendment: September 22, 2001
- 4th amendment: November 23, 2002
- 5th amendment: August 25, 2007
- 6th amendment: September 4, 2010
- 7th amendment: August 9, 2011
- 8th amendment: August 5, 2012
- 9th amendment: December 31, 2018
Detailed Provisions on AKCSE President Election
Article 1 (Term)
The term of the President shall be determined by the Bylaws.
Article 2 (Candidate Nomination)
The Board shall nominate a candidate(s) who holds full membership and accepts the nomination for the President.
Article 3 (Election Method)
The President shall be elected from the candidates nominated by the Board through the Full Members’ secret mail-in ballot or on-line vote in principle. If deemed difficult to do mail-in ballot or on-line vote by the Board, the President may be elected at the General Meeting.
Article 4 (Election Time)
Time to elect the President shall comply with the Bylaws, and the election result must be reported to the Members immediately.
1) (Provision Validity)
These Detailed Provisions shall become valid and effective from the day passed by the Board.
- Passed by the Board: May 20, 1989
- 1st amendment: November 9, 1990
- 2nd amendment: November 15, 1997
- 3rd amendment: November 29, 2003
- 4th amendment: September 4, 2010
- 5th amendment: August 5, 2012
- 6th amendment: December 31, 2018 “Pending Approval at the AKCSE Annual General Meeting”